Alive and Kicking is a UK registered charity that establishes social enterprises in Africa. Our mission is to create ethical employment for communities in sub-Saharan Africa, help improve the health and quality of life of disadvantaged young people and enable children to exercise their right to play. We achieve these objectives by making sports balls in not-for-profit stitching centres in Kenya, Zambia and Ghana.
Launched in 2004, Alive and Kicking has grown from a single factory in Nairobi, to employing 150 people in fairly paid, ethical, full time jobs across Africa. We try to recruit people who have difficulty finding alternative work, such as those living with a disability, or poorly educated young people.
The enterprise is based on a model of self-reliance in Africa where all profits are reinvested in the operations that make them. Each factory is established with initial grant funding, and is expected to break even within 5 years. The primary markets for Alive and Kicking balls on the African continent are retail, the NGO sector, company marketing and CSR departments. Balls are also increasingly sold beyond Africa’s borders mainly through our online store.
Approximately 20% of the 800,000 balls that Alive and Kicking has produced have been donated to schools and youth projects allowing children to play with proper equipment, often for the first time. Over 50,000 young people have taken part in Alive and Kicking health programmes which use sport to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and malaria in Kenya, Zambia and Ghana.
The majority of Alive and Kicking’s balls are stitched from local leather, which makes them twice as durable on rough ground as the next best ball on the market.
At this exciting point in the social enterprise’s development, Alive and Kicking is looking for an energetic, determined and passionate CEO to drive the organisation to new heights. The successful candidate will be expected to direct the growth of Alive and Kicking’s products in multiple markets, oversee fundraising in the UK, develop readiness for new forms of social funding, supervise the finances of the group and lead expansion efforts for new country operations.
Purpose of the Role:
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Finance & Governance
Programmes and Partnerships
Leadership and Management
•Educated to degree level or equivalent
•Proven track record of implementing successful commercial strategies and business growth
• Demonstrable experience in raising funds from various sources, including corporates and major donors
• Experience of managing a small team
• Experience of developing and delivering fundraising strategies
•Business experience in Africa
Skills, Competencies & attributes
• Strong leadership skills
• Exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to build networks and represent the organisation at a senior level to key decision makers
• Excellent public presentation skills
• Financial astuteness with demonstrable experience of creating, managing and reporting against budgets
• A creative and proactive approach to work
• Ability to work collaboratively and to empathise with staff at all levels and across cultures
• Ability to motivate and enthuse colleagues, trustees and external supporters
•Good understanding of social enterprises and their operating environment
•Excellent partnership building and networking skills
•Enthusiasm for Africa and a belief in Alive and Kicking’s mission
•Knowledge of African economies and cultures, and experience of work related to Africa
•Knowledge of the fundraising environment in the UK
• Able to commute to Alive and Kicking’s office / shop in Hoxton, N1 6QG, and to travel to Alive and Kicking’s African operations approximately 3-4 times a year.
Please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of a standard A4 page via email below.
Your covering letter should outline what you believe are the major challenges facing Alive and Kicking in the next 2-3- years and, with consideration to the Person Specifications listed at the end of the Job Description, highlight why you are the right person to be the CEO of Alive and Kicking.